Wednesday, June 10, 2009

chillin' in the sun...longing for ice cream!

Hi all! Things have been going okay here at E.G.O. This past Sunday as children were celebrated world-wide, we celebrated our own here! “Bonne Fete, TiMoun!” A bunch of tables were moved under a big tree and some of the women spent all morning preparing a delicious meal for everyone! It included some special treats from a donor organization that the children especially enjoyed; Pringles potato crisps and Oreo cookies!

Yesterday, I was really struggling with physical and emotional exhaustion… Sometimes I don’t know how Don and Doris continue to do it! Anyway, I decided to just take the afternoon and spend by myself reading and praying and just being quiet! I sometimes feel ‘guilty’ taking time away because I don’t want to waste my time here, but I guess Jesus gave us the example of isolated time alone to pray, so I shouldn’t feel guilty for doing the same! Anyway, in the evening, feeling much better, I came back over to Don and Doris’s to make dinner. The kids must've seen me coming, b/c a huge group of them came up wanting medicine for one ailment or another! Their antics made me smile though, especially when a little toddler, Carla, came wandering up holding her hand out for medicine like the big kids!

We all really miss Doris! She’s still in the states for therapy on her leg and it sounds like she is making some good strides in walking on her own again. She has been busy there with therapy as well as coordinating everything for the little girl with the tumor to come to the U.S. for surgery. She and her mom and E.G.O.’s director, Ruben, are in Port-au-Prince currently trying to get emergency medical VISA’s, etc. It can be a long and frustrating process to get everything coordinated here in Haiti.

Rikelson, the 9 year old from town, still comes to the clinic every other day for me to clean and bandage his feet. I actually look forward to his coming! His mom brings him in, carrying him on her back, and they are both so jovial! His mom told me that he ‘loves me’! That made me feel good considering what i do causes him pain everytime he sees me!

Don took me on a tour of Dessalines the other day… even took me by the Nazarene Church in town (since my dad is a Nazarene minister) so I could see it. We drove past the prison, the hotel and stopped in for a “tour” of the town’s bakery! “Tour” is kind of a humorous word to use considering it’s a small room (probably smaller than most of your kitchens!) with a huge wood stove in the middle. The owner was kneading huge amounts of dough preparing for the next morning. One of the other workers there kept asking Don for food, saying he was hungry, all the while chowing on a juicy, ripe mango! That seems to be somewhat typical in some areas! Kind of makes me laugh!

Anyway, nothing else out of the E.G.O. norm is really going on for me to write about, so I’ll end here! Hope you are all doing well! I still love being here, but have to admit, I’m getting excited to see everyone at home again too! That, and enjoying a big bowl of ice cream!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jill,
    I've been following your journey, through your blog on my GoogleReader. I think what you are doing is awesome and is sure to spiritually grow you. I always tried to get my sister to do one of those "Mercy Ship" trips as a nurse. I think it would be so neat. You are in my prayers and thank you for sharing your journey with your friends. It ministers to us as we read your testimony of God's faithfulness to you.
    --Marianne

    ReplyDelete