so, it's been a full week and i'm so thankful that it is saturday and sunday is on it's way!! i got a beautiful nap today and am hopeful for another tomorrow! i don't know if it's the busy schedule here or because of the heat, but by the end of the week i am so tired and just mentally exhausted!
thursday was actually my first day in the clinic with the townspeople. doris is amazing! she knows so much and has been teaching me so much. we treated 3 little kids with anthrax. two of them had the lesions and edema on their faces and one had it on his arm. we'll be giving them shots of penicillin for approximately 10 days. we treated them on thursday and then when they came in for their shots on friday the doctor saw them. he was astounded as he'd never seen anthrax before. we also saw a little girl with a horribly disfigured face from a tumor. she's not even 3 yet. it's so sad to think of the reconstructive surgery that could be done in the u.s., but because of the lack of resources here it's not possible. the doctor did see her though and said that he knows a doc in florida that might be able to operate. so we're praying that it can all happen!
yesterday was also doris's 77th birthday, so the kids threw a big celebration in the tabernacle. many of the townspeople and kids from EGO from years ago showed up. it's obvious that she and don have impacted so many people over the years and are continuing to do so.
things are better with the teens... the 'ring leader' even told me he wasn't mad at me anymore! that kind of made me laugh a little inside, but i'm actually so glad that things are back to normal and half of the EGO population is no longer ignoring me! :) i was able to listen to a sermon on my ipod this morning that taught that instead of praying for God to change our circumstances we should be praying that He will change us... give us wisdom to deal with an issue, grow endurance or perseverance in us, etc. so, i guess that the next time it happens, (b/c realistically i don't doubt it will) i will be praying that God will be growing me 'tougher skin' ! (thanks dad!!)
more kids are sick these days, one with what is presumably scabies, one with multiple spider bites in his armpit (and a high fever - probably related to it?), more ear infections, kids cutting their big toes open while kicking a big rock... the list goes on! i've had to make a chart so i know who gets what med and when... the older ones come up to don & doris's porch for me to dispense them, but i have to go in search of the little ones. i really do enjoy it though, i've got to admit! oh yeah, and my legs are covered in some kind of little bug bites that are itching like mad!!! nothing seems to take away the itching expect for ice packs at night...which of course leaked all over my bed by the next morning!
alrighty, i'm gonna go! love and miss everybody! --j
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
jill,
ReplyDeleteDo you need some deet? Wish I could send you a bottle of Deep Haiti OFF! So sorry about your itching. I have woken many times and just said, I wish I could be in Haiti with Jill. Doing what you're doing is so very challenging, but so very needed. I wonder, how do you tell all the kids apart and remember their names in Creole? How did you know it was Anthrax? You are learning so much! So much more to learn, too, I'm sure. I'm sending a big hug; Keep up the great work. God LOVES YOU and so do I!
Kathy Ellison
Hi Jill - Abraham's beautiful...praying for you. Love Aunt Bonnie:)
ReplyDeleteJill, Just want to encourage you, I know you are accomplishing much at EGO. It is good that you have your IPOD to listen to English worship. That is the one thing we missed so much while there. Please give Marco a hug for me, Doris says he is better. I would love a picture of the new baby with his name, etc. so I can add him to the web. Stay strong. Love Sherrie
ReplyDeleteHi Jill, I love keeping up with what you are doing at EGO, and do not get discouraged, every little step you take there is helping someone. Nursing experience is so necessary for the people there. It was what I wished for so often while we were there. Please give Marco a hug for us and rememeber to send me a picture, name, etc of the new baby for the web. Praying for you, Love, Sherrie
ReplyDelete